A huge explosion shook the Lebanese capital on Tuesday, causing extensive damage and wide-scale destruction across the city.
Lebanese Red Cross official Georges Kettaneh reported that there are hundreds of casualties as a result of the explosion, including dead and wounded. The cause of the blast was not immediately clear.
– Lebanese Red Cross official Georges Kettaneh says there are hundreds of casualties, including dead and wounded
– Lebanon’s interior minister cites ammonium nitrate as the likely cause
– Secretary-general of the Kataeb Party Nizar Najarian reportedly killed
– Lebanon’s internal security chief says the blast was in a port area with highly explosive material
– Explosion heard from 150 miles away
The explosion in #Beirut killed at least 25 people and wounded over 2,500, says Lebanon’s health minister.
Officials say all hospitals there are full. Casualties and injuries are expected to rise, with many believed buried under the rubble.